Extreme Java When vanilla Java is not enough

23Sep/100

From Swing to NetBeans Platform (part 1)

I don't remember how, but I found a nice tile map editor named Tiled. It has two versions: QT and Java. The former is their "trunk", while the latter is their "legacy". Too bad, it was a nice piece of software.

Nonetheless, their screenshot made me think: "this MUST be refactored to be a NetBeans Platform App". There's a lot of dialogs, splitpanes, toolbars, etc. It is an waste of time doing that on Swing.

Let's see the situation of the source code:

  • Almost abandoned - only a couple of commits this year. Check.
  • No plans to keep it up-to-date - blame the QT version. Check.
  • GPL licensed. Check.

That's the recipe that allows me to play with this cool application, refactoring it from Swing to NBP.

I started by cloning their Mercurial repository (cool, I can keep their SCM history). Then, I run it with NetBeans. Now that I know it works, I deleted the project metadata (build.xml and nbproject) and created a new NBP-based Application. Their old source on "src" I moved to a new "src" inside a "Legacy Integration" module.

Now, the fun part: remove the junk. There's a lot of cool features on the original project, but almost all of them NBP does too:

  • Plugin support, with custom classloader and other stuff. Deleted
  • Multiple filetype support. Imploded to support only native formats
  • Command line parsing. Split in a new module, using NB own support

Up to this point I have: nothing! After all, that application was SDI with JFrame. To make the editor working again, I created a "TMX File Support". The first version of TMXDataObject contained only an OpenCookie that opens a TopComponent. In this TC, I embedded the Tiled JFrame components (editor, menubar, statusbar, etc). This ugly workaround worked pretty nice! And the Application is now MDI!

After some cleanup, it was pretty easy to migrate their NewMapAction to NB layer.xml, the SaveAction to a SaveCookie and SaveAsAction to SaveAsCapable. In a matter of minutes, their editor was fully integrated with NB file support, including the conditionally enabled "Save" button.

Next step is the Tileset Manager. Currently it is a JDialog, and I will migrate it to a TopComponent (like Navigator).

Stay tuned!